Saturday, March 17, 2007

On the Home Stretch

I've been working on these socks for my DH for a while now. They've been my travel socks, the mindless pattern that I carry around with me to knit in my spare moments. I finally turned the heel on sock two last week and am almost finished with the foot. I'm using the Alternating 2 X 2 Rib basketweave stitch from the SKS book (page 38). I've had this Socka striping tweed yarn in my stash for quite a long time, waiting for the right pattern. It's kind of boring yarn, but everyone who's seen them loves the socks. I want to get this second sock finished so I will have a free needle for the next round of sock madness.

I also started a new sock project with Knit Picks Essentials in navy and a brightly colored Regia. I cast on 76 stitches, ribbed for 1.5 inches, then increased to 84 stitches while I knitted the first round of the pattern stitch. The pattern repeat is 14 stitches and the chart has 44 rounds. I'm using the Double Spiral mosaic (slip stitch) design from Sensational Knitted Socks. The Regia yarn has been ageing in my stash for several years. I got the Knitpicks Essential in a few solid colors last year to use with leftover multicolored yarn in slip stitch patterns like this one.

Slip stitch patterns have very little stretch, so it' s important to swatch, or try on the sock before knitting too much. This pattern repeat will also work if you cast on 64 stitches, then increase to 70 stitches before starting the mosaic pattern.

No comments: