Sunday, March 04, 2007

Lost your Socks?

The Bizarro cartoon today made me laugh. Thanks to my sock knitting friend Elizabeth in Norway for this link.

I finished knitting a pair of socks and wanted to wear them before I wove in the ends. Well, then I couldn't wash them until I wove in the ends. They were on top of my dryer waiting for me to weave in the ends and one disappeared. I looked in back of the dryer and all over the garage but I couldn't find it anywhere.

About 6 months later I was cleaning in back of the dryer and noticed a piece of familiar colored string peeking out under the bottom of the drywall. (The walls in the garage aren't finished completely). I tugged on the string and out popped the lost sock. A mouse had dragged it into the wall, but it was too big (or heavy) to keep pulling on and it had been abandoned. The entire sock was in the wall cavity, only the non darned in yarn end was hanging out. It was a bit dusty but none the worse for wear. I shook it out, darned in the ends, and washed it. Now I have a nice new pair of socks.

The moral of the story? ALWAYS WEAVE IN YOUR ENDS! (Unless you plan to leave it where a mouse might abscond with it.)

No comments: