Tuesday, March 06, 2007

I got a BIG Squishy

I got a package from Astrid in The Netherlands! Enough yarn for 17 pairs of socks at an average price of $11.00 (shipping costs are astronomical from Europe to California, but cheaper than flying there to pick up the yarn.) I got a skein of the Opal Hundertwasser (and a free sideways knit sock pattern to use with it) in the Silver Spiral colorway. I think it's the best of the Hundertwasser colors, which I saw in person at Stitches West. I also got two socks worth of Regia Bamboo, some Opal Smoke in masculine colors, great Regia Mosaic in browns & another in blues & greens, lots of Regia cotton that was on sale, some Meilenweit Stretch cotton in blues, Strapaz 6 ply cotton in black and a striping color, Regia cotton in solid Denim, and two balls of Schachenmayr Chamonix (under $2.00 a ball) to add to a felted bag or slipper cuff. Enough yarn for 17 pairs of socks, eek!

I've never ordered from Astrid before, but it went fine. The squishy mailing bag had two small slashes in it where (I guess) the customs agents had checked it out, but the yarn was in good shape. The site is sort of hard to navigate through, but the prices are great. I ordered on 2/18 and the package got here on 3/5, about 2 weeks. Unfortunately I ordered before she got in the Opal Bamboo and Uni cotton. I feel a group order coming on
to get the best shipping price.

Remember, sock yarn doesn't count as stash!

No comments: