Sunday, June 10, 2007

Virtual Vacation Swap

I joined yet another swap. The Knitter's Virtual Vacation Swap sounded like fun when I read about it on Dave's blog this morning. I was one of the last to sign up (it's always last minute when I travel), and here's my questionnaire.

1. If you could visit any state in the US, which would it be and why? I really want to go back to Hawaii. I was there a few years ago for the first time and didn't see enough.

2. If you could visit any country in the world, other than your own, which would it be and why? Gosh, that's a hard one. There are so many great places I want to visit. New Zealand. The scenery, and the people, and the wool. OR Tahiti, Tonga, Samoa, Pitcairn and Christmas Islands. Obviously the South Pacific ranks high on my list.

3. Have you ever driven across several states/provinces/countries? I was born in San Francisco and still live nearby, but for 3 years in High School I lived in Connecticut and traveled up and down the Eastern Seaboard on vacations. We also went up to the Maritime provinces of Canada (I'd like to go back there.) When we moved back to California we drove across most of the country. I've been to every state except Alaska and those pesky Midwest states (Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Oklahoma, North and South Dakota.). It would have been more but my brother lived in Minnesota for 7 years and I visited him once, and we went to Wisconsin on a day trip. I've made three camping trips up to Vancouver Island and across to Banff, then down through Yellowstone into Colorado and finally Las Vegas.

When I was young and crazy I also drove from LA to Los Alamos, New Mexico in one long drive, then down into Mexico and back to LA in the middle of February. The car was never the same after that trip. Oh, and then there's the time I drove frrm San Francisco to Denver overnight. We had a flat tire in the Nevada desert in the middle of the night (and also ran out of gas) and spent the time until a gas station opened sleeping in the car (a Fiat 128 is not suitable as a bedroom for 3 grown people, nor for driving more than 350 miles between gas stations.)


4. Have you ever visited someplace you consider exotic? Where was it? Costa Rica

5. What was your favorite "travel" vacation? Why? England, when I went to London, Oxford and Bath, along with Stonehenge and Amesbury. I'd love to go back to visit more.

6. Have you ever played tourist in your own home city/state (if international, country)? Explain. I live near San Francisco, so I play tourist a lot. Southern California is another country.

7. Are you a museum visitor, beachcomber or an amusement seeker? I love museums and beaches, but museums get my vote. In Hawaii I spent three days at museums and only one day at the beach. How about the surf museum just down the road from me in Santa Cruz, near the Boardwalk? Three birds with one stone.

8. What's your favorite type of yarn? SOFT cashmere, angora, baby alpaca, sea silk, silk and cotton blends

9. What's your least favorite type of yarn? SCRATCHY mohair, shetland wool, yak

10. What items do you like to knit/crochet? Socks, felted bags, slippers, scarves, cardigans, afghans

11. What do you pack, knit/crochet wise when you go on vacation? Usually just socks, because they are portable and I can knit cotton in hot places and wool when it's not so hot.

12. What other crafts do you do/would like to do other than Knit/Crochet? I love to dye fabric (and yarn) and make quilts. Beaded jewellry would be really fun to do. I used to cross stitch, macrame, needlepoint, weave, & sew clothes. Knitting has cut into my crafting time.

13. Are you allergic to anything? (Yarn wise or treat wise) Perfume, scented items, mohair, feathers, cigarettes, chamomile

14. What is your favorite color? Least Favorite? My favorite color: anything in the cool spectrum: blues, purples, teal green, turquoise, rose pinks and reds, probably blue tops the list. My least favorite color is definitely ORANGE.

15. Sweet or Savory (Treat not personality)? SWEET, but not too sweet. Savory is also great

16. Anything else we are forgetting to ask that you think your partner desperately needs to know? I love color.

2 comments:

Ariel said...

I live in Southern California and loved your comment about Southern California being another country. It's exactly how I feel about Northern California. How in the world is this one state??????

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for getting this up! And congrats on your 9th pair of socks - I think the pattern looks really cool even if we can't all see the various colors in there! :D