Friday, June 22, 2007

Phoenix Rising Here

Warning: SPOILER ALERT: Don't scroll down further if you still haven't received your Rockin' Sock Club package, although since I am on the West Coast my package was in the last shipment, so hopefully everyone else has received theirs already.

I came home after a frustrating day to find a nice flat package on my doorstep (not crammed into the mailbox.) I knew it was coming, but it was still a nice surprise to open the latest shipment from the Socks that Rock Rockin'Sock club. I hadn't looked at any other sites to see what was in the kit. Of course, even though I have quite a few other sock projects in the works, I had to cast on right away (after I wound the yarn into a ball.) I've finished the toe and started the stitch pattern, and it isn't bad at all. The socks are knitting up quite nicely, and the bright colors are merging into an unexpectedly nice fabric. There aren't any double decreases, either, which is a nice change from the last few patterns I've worked on. The cables are very simple and don't pull the fabric in much at all.

Shameless Plug: I've discovered a new favorite fast cooking grain to serve with meals. It's Trader Joe's Harvest Grains blend (not available at all of their stores yet, unfortunately.) It's orzo pasta (rice shaped), baby garbanzo beans & quinoa, with grated carrots and spices. It cooks in 20 minutes even though there are beans and whole grains, which is really quick, and tastes wonderful. I'm posting about it here to encourage everyone to ask for it if they like this sort of thing and have a Trader Joe's near them. If the demand is there they'll keep it in stock. I bought 5 bags on my last visit. I have to drive 20-30 minutes each way (depending on traffic) to go to Trader Joe's, otherwise it would be my choice for the weekly grocery run. I have no affiliation with the chain, I just like their prices, stock and attitude. I'm not wild about the way they package the produce, but I understand the reasoning behind it.

No comments: