Saturday, May 26, 2007

Lucky Seven

I finished pair number seven in the 52 pair plunge challenge a few days ago. I used a cream colored Regia cotton. This is the Grapevine pattern from More Sensational Socks by Charlene Schurch (Page 96). It's a 12 round pattern, with every odd round plain knitting. I think these might be for my Sockapalooza 4 swap pal. I was happily knitting along and belatedly realized that the foot was long enough to start the toe. I had an extra repeat of the pattern on the instep. so the two parts of the sock tube had different amounts of stitches. I thought I would try a round or spiral toe decrease. It's made somewhat like the top of a hat, usually on a number of stitches divisible by 8. Since I had 72 stitches, I divided the total by 8, giving me a total of 9 stitches for each repeat. On round one, *K7, K2TOG* and repeat this around. I would then ordinarily knit 6 plain rounds and do another decrease round of K6, K2TOG, then knit 5 plain rounds. This would have resulted in a toe a lot longer than I needed. Because the foot was almost long enough already I only knit two plain knit rounds in between the decrease rounds instead, and finally one plain round in between. I think the toe worked out well. It's not as pointed as a normal spiral toe and so easy to finish.

I've been sick for a few days and couldn't knit. I was having withdrawals, and not just from the caffeine. This morning I woke up with a different headache and realized it was a caffeine headache. Sure enough, a cup of coffee and the headache was gone. I also didn't feel much like turning on the computer. Now that I'm feeling better I've been working on the vine lace socks in Opal cotton/wool. Sock one is finished but for the toe decreases. I made a shorter cuff than usual because it was lace and hope to have enough leftover yarn to make another pair along with a solid blue cotton yarn. It's good to have my knitting mojo back!

1 comment:

Lyndsey-Jane said...

Great socks! Good to know I'm not the only one who gets the caffeine withdrawal headaches. My caffeine of choice is diet coke but saying that I'm also partial to coffee, esp at the moment aa I can only seem to revise with plenty of coffee.