Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Fiber Weekend with Stash Enhancement:Take Two

I've made quite a lot of progress on the cream colored Regia cotton Grapevine sock. This pattern is from More sensational Socks by Charlene Schurch (Page 96). It's a 12 round pattern, but every odd round is plain knitting and the others are very similar to each other.

I also frogged the Opal Hundertwasser cotton sock and restarted it without the ribbing. I'm using a garter stitch cuff that waves because of the Vine Lace pattern's natural tendency to ripple. The sock is almost as long as it was before I frogged. I think it's looking good. I'll probably get more knitting done tonight watching the finale of the Gilmore Girls and Dancing with the Stars with DD. At this rate it looks like I'll have 3 pairs of socks finished for week 9 of the 52 pair plunge. I'm making all three pairs at once instead of one at a time.

Last Saturday I drove with a friend to an artist's open house in San Rafael (just north of San Francisco). I grew up in this area and it's always nice to come back. After the open house we had a great lunch at a little hole in the wall Puerto Rican restaurant (Sol Food) and went on a yarn expedition. We visited DharmaTrading Company for our annual fix. Dharma has expanded their yarn selection as knitting has become more popular again. I got some aqua SISU sock yarn with silver speckles there. We got directions at Dharma on how to get to a new store, Marin Fiber Arts, which is on City Plaza in San Rafael. I used to come here to get new school clothes and shoes at Macy's and Stride Rite, and now it's home to yarn stores and ice cream shops. Every yarn in the store was 25% off! They were also having live music in the plaza. What more could you ask for? Of course I couldn't resist the sale. I got another skein of Tofutsies in a color I had regretted not ordering, some Lorna's Laces to go with solid colors I already have, a skein of Opal Handpaint, some Claudia handpainted sock yarn, and 4 skeins of Nature's Palette Hand Jive naturally dyed yarn. It was a very nice store, and I'll visit again. We had planned a stop at Studio-Knit in Mill Valley but we were too tired (and broke). Turns out that's a good thing because I went to their website and it's now closed. I'd only been there once, but I had my mom in the car and couldn't stay long.

No comments: