Saturday, September 08, 2007

Sockapalooza

It's been a busy few weeks here. School started, which is always the busiest time of year for me, since I work at a district office. I received my package from my Sockapalooza 4 pal, Alice Yu, all the way from Onslow Gardens, London. When the package arrived I thought it was a Fairisle vest like Onslow wears so badly in Keeping up Appearances. What incredible socks Alice made! The yarn is my absolute favorite, Shelridge Farms handpaint from Canada, and the lace pattern is beautiful and Alice's own creation. How did she know my favorite early childhood book was Winnie the Pooh? The lace pattern, which somehow reminds me of oriel windows (don't ask me why), is called "Hundred Acre Wood". The socks fit me perfectly, too. Thanks so much, Alice!!!

Alice also sent along some incredible hand dyed Blue Faced Leicester wool from The Natural Dye Studio, a yarn I've never seen before. I am sharing the generosity with my own sockapalooza pal, whose package was sent off today.

Picture of her socks
I also finished up a UFO sweater project that had been languishing in the project box, lacking only half a sleeve and the button bands. I used vintage yarn purchased on ebay quite a while ago, a mercerized white cotton and a blue & white fingering weight yarn combined. I used the feather and fan pattern on the hem and cuffs, and crocheted a shell edging as well. I don't have a picture of the whole sweater, but here are some detail shots.

1 comment:

mary said...

Both of your socks are beautiful! You are so lucky; I'm still waiting for mine :(